Monday, June 20, 2011

Baby Bees! Slow comb building.

I was thrilled with what I found in the hive today!  BABIES!  The new queen has been very busy, filling at least 4 frames with what is now sealed brood.




It looks like she ran out of room for more eggs though, even with the extra box I put on last week.  The bees seem to be a little slow in drawing out comb, but I'm not going to worry just yet.  I figure the hive is pretty small by now, and once the new bees hatch, I should see a dramatic increase in activity and comb building.  I'll keep feeding them syrup to hopefully help the process along, even though they have definitely slowed down their sugar consumption.  To the best of my knowledge, the hive appears to have finally taken a turn for the better.  Although I didn't see the queen, I did find eggs in the newest drawn comb.  What a sight for sore eyes!  Here are some more photos of the brood.






No comments:

Post a Comment