Sunday, July 17, 2011

Schoolhouse robbing and commercial bee sales

This morning I watched as bees from hive #1 went over to Schoolhouse hive #3 and helped themselves to "their" frame which was donated yesterday.  Hive #3 has no defenses whatsoever, so on went the entrance reducer set to the smallest opening.  Hopefully they don't get too hot in there.  I did peek inside and saw that they are eagerly drinking from the feeder.  No one hanging off the inner cover this time.  I refuse to give up on this little hive.  I think it can be saved... Hopefully.  Which reminds me -

It really bothers me that I had a commercial bee supplier tell me to just combine this hive with another and forget about the queen (I happen to seriously value my queens).  They said it isn't worth the effort and expense to try and build up the small hive - that we can just buy a new one in spring for the same amount.

What are your thoughts?  Is this a valid argument? Am I being too sensitive?  Or is this just a way to build springtime package sales?

1 comment:

  1. I have very little experience with beekeeping, but I agree with you. I think the attitude of most commercial keepers is what lead to CCD. I do not like that approach, where you view the bees as a revenue source rather than living things. This is why I have chosen to use a Warre Hive and wont be dumping chemical treatments on my girls.
    I applaud you for trying to save your hive, it is not about choosing the cheapest or easiest alternative, it is about doing what you love and doing it right.

    ReplyDelete